Looking for a healthy alternative for new year desserts after the excesses of xmas? Try this delicious No Bake Lime Avocado Tart from Running to the Kitchen. I’ve made this a few times and it is absolutely delicious. The avocado makes the filling super creamy and the sweet base is offset by the tartness of the lime.
Why eat avocados?
- Avocados are loaded with nutrients including vitamin K, folate, and vitamin C.
- They contain more of the important mineral potassium than bananas.
- Avocados are one of the fattiest plant foods available and are full of heart healthy monounsaturated fats. Despite their high fat content they have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol, increase good cholesterol and reduce triglycerides, and can be incorporated into a weight loss eating plan.
- They are high in fibre which feeds beneficial bacteria in our gut, keeps our digestive tract healthy and keeps us regular.
- The fat and nutrient content of avocados increases the absorption of nutrients from other foods consumed at the same time.
- Avocados contain antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthen which are important nutrients for eye health and lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
So instead of consuming a guilt laden, creamy, sugary pudding, reach for the avocado, lime tart and do your health a favour! Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2017.